12/22/2023

Wire knit ornament - The twenty-second door

At the time of writing this post, I hadn't been working with wire a lot, thanks to recurring pain in my thumb joints which makes it hard to hold a piece when wire wrapping.
I felt I had to make at least one wire ornament for this calendar, though, and since wire knitting is the easiest on my hands, I decided to make something that had always been on my list, but kept being forgotten. So many things to try out!

I had put knitted wire into knitted wire before, in a bracelet, but I had never done it in 3D which was actually rather fun, so it's not off my list yet because there are so many possibilities with this!

It was not that easy to take a picture.
In this one you have to have a lot of imagination to notice the inner structure.


So I took a second one holding the ornament up against the wall, so you can see the inside.
As for the weird effect, that was just to remove the wallpaper and my hand. Unfortunately, the ornament cannot do this ray thing. A pity, really. That would look cool on the tree ;-)

6 comments:

  1. What a clever idea, to put one ornament inside another! It's almost like a puzzle and has so much visual interest. I also like the little rays coming off of it in the photo - very interesting effect. Dawn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Maybe I should finally look into LEDs, then it could have had real rays coming off of it.

      Delete
  2. Very cool! I love this shape. Now I need to draw something like that….

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know if I was subconsciously inspired by a red kuri squash (we call it Hokkaido pumpkin)?

      Delete
    2. Ha! I need to look up a picture of that squash. Nature makes some amazing shapes, doesn’t it?

      Delete
    3. It sure does!
      The Hokkaido pumpkin is the pumpkin you see most here because it also comes in small sizes and you don't have to peel it. It's really yummy and pretty, too.

      Delete