12/23/2023

Folded peyote star - The twenty-third door


I've said it before and will probably say it again more than once - I hate making the same thing twice.
When I had made my first folded peyote earrings, however, and held them next to each other for a picture, I couldn't help but think of a star.

I knew it would take at least six "rays" to complete this star which is a big number for someone who has a problem with even two identical parts, but there was plenty of time for big breaks between making each one, so it would be fine, right?
Actually, it was a hard one. To be frank, after the first three elements my motivation to make more was close to zero, but sewing them together and seeing it was going to look the way I had imagined helped a little.
For colors I had chosen a transparent emerald with AB finish and a cranberry lined peridot luster. The temptation to use silver lined Christmas green and red instead had been huge, but the sparkle might have been too much. The shiny emerald, however, and the muted cranberry make for a great contrast.
I couldn't resist adding a bit of sparkle by sewing on gold lined crystal beads in the shape of stars on the centers of both sides. To hide the hole in the center, I used black Austrian glass pearls with one of the golden beads.

And here it is, my folded peyote star ornament. Although I really like the result, I don't see myself making another one of those again very soon! ;-)

4 comments:

  1. What a crazy amount of work - and absolutely gorgeous! I love, love, love it! I’m so glad you were able to finish it.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Michelle!
      It would have been a pity for this to stay a WIP. The calendar was a real challenge for me, but it also made me feel I achieved something.

      Delete
  2. This just wonderful. The way you've done each side gives it a three dimensional look that really brings it to life. Great colors, great shape, everything about it is great! I'm picturing how pretty it would look hanging from a Christmas tree. :) Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-D
      I think if I found a way to put it on some kind of cone, it would make a nice tree topper, too.

      Delete