12/21/2023

Needle felt bauble with beads - The twenty-first door


Sometimes plans change.
This bauble had not been on my list, but it practically pushed itself on me by way of a lovely combed top dyed in tones of green and red that I got in a surprise parcel for a different project (when writing this, I don't know yet if that will (have) work(ed) out).
For me, the colors screamed Christmas, and I still had some of those styrofoam balls, you know, and obviously the only option was to get the wool around the ball somehow. This called for needle felting, what else?
It's true, I already did some needle felting for this advent calendar, but only shapes that I completely covered with beads, not covering something with felt.
An easy project was nice, especially I still had the last and biggest one ahead of me.
Also it can be extremely relaxing, almost meditative to poke wool, even more so if you don't have a complicated shape. Gundel on the pillow next to me, softly snoring, der Dekan on my shoulder, slightly lifted up by it with every poke, soft background noise, perfect.

However, it needed a bit more than just that, so I sewed on a variety of seed beads in sizes 8, 11, and 15 - silverlined red, goldlined crystal, and clear AB. When slowly twisting the bauble in the light, there is that touch of sparkle, really pretty.
I think getting that combed top was really a lovely coincidence.


4 comments:

  1. I can't tell you how happy I was to see that you included a felted piece. This is just perfect with it's earthy colors - not too showy, but still representative of Christmas colors. I'll bet the kitties can't stay away from it, that is if you let them get near it! Dawn :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No cats are getting near any of these ornaments, too much time invested in most of them, lol!
      Thank you very much.

      Delete
  2. This is a fun bauble! The sparkly beads poking out of the wool is a wonderful contrast to the wool. At first glance, I wondered how you got it so perfectly round. I am glad you explained. And what a picture - both cats content as you worked.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle!
      You can felt a round sphere, but I had not done it in this size before, also I still had the balls, so why not use them and of course you need a lot less wool. You can also wet felt around them, but I don't like doing wet felting.
      It was so peaceful, a really lovely evening.

      Delete