12/10/2023

Beaded Angel - The tenth door


Last year I found a YouTube tutorial for the cutest little angels. I had already picked all the topics, so I didn't include the angels in the advent calendar, but only shared them on social media.
You can find Krístina's video here. She speaks Czech, but shows everything so clearly that you won't necessarily need the commentary if you want to try making the angels. I didn't need it. I also improvised a little by using the supplies my sister and I had on hand which, for example, meant replacing SuperDuos with Twin Beads from my stash.
I made a few for my sister and myself to give away, and they were so well received that my sister then made a bunch more.


This year, however, I wanted to try something else.
Do you remember the puffy stars from the last calendar and that most of them were made from five components?
Well, the components (that can also be used as bails) reminded me of wings (not just me, I'm sure), and I wondered if I could design something around one of them. My first attempt didn't work out, but I put the wings aside in the hope for an epiphany sometime later.
That epiphany came a few weeks later after stumbling upon the pearls that I had also used for the mistletoe as they were about the same size of the pearls my sister had given me for the angels.
I also used the wing idea in other pieces then like Count Catula.

I wanted my new angel to be rather classic and therefore decided against a bronze Twin Bead robe - the only color I still had left.
Also I had been working from a box with my latest seed bead order which I still hadn't put away, and a few colors I had added to the box (because that's how my muse works), and eventually it had become a bit of a personal challenge for a while to make something only with beads in that box. In the end, the obvious choice was the same pearly white as in the wings, in a flowing Herringbone robe. Have I mentioned before that I love Herringbone? ;-)
There was also a tube with only a few golden beads left and they were just enough for a halo and two - uhm, buttons?

I didn't mind the Twin Bead angels having no arms, but with this one's wings being in the back, I definitely wanted some sleeves here and I am pretty happy with my solution for them.
I can't help thinking, though, that somehow this little angel looks as if waiting for instructions!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You are such an amazing designer. This little angel is perfect.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Michelle! I admit that I was very happy with this one!

      Delete