12/19/2022

In the bleak midwinter - The nineteenth door


A Christmas carol I like a lot is "In the bleak midwinter" by Gustav Holst. For a long time I wasn't aware, however, that this was based on a Christmas poem by the English poet Christina Rossetti published in 1872 as "A Christmas Carol" in an American magazine.
To be honest, the only text line I ever knew was "Snow on snow".
In 1906, Holst composed a setting for it, titled "Cranham". In 1909, Harold Darke composed an anthem regarded to be one of the best Christmas carols ever. I only knew the version by Holst and haven't yet had the chance to find out which one I like better.

Here are the lyrics by Rossetti.

In the bleak midwinter
Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron,
Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen,
Snow on snow.

Snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter,
Long ago.

Our God, heaven cannot him,
nor earth sustain;
Heaven and earth shall flee away
When he comes to reign,
In the bleak midwinter
A stable place sufficed
The Lord God incarnate,
Jesus Christ.

Enough for him, whom Cherubim
Worship night and day
A breast full of milk
And a manager full of hay.
Enough for him, whom angels
Fall down before,
The ox and ass and camel
Which adore.

Angels and archangels
May have gathered there,
Cherubim and seraphim
Thronged the air;
But his mother only,
In her maiden bliss,
Worshipped the Beloved
With a kiss.

What can I give him,
Poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd,
I would bring a lamb,
If I were a wise man,
I would do my part,
Yet what I can I give him -
Give my heart.


Here's the Holst carol sung by the King's College Cambridge choir in 2005.

2 comments:

  1. It’s a lovely poem.

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It works really well as a Christmas carol, too!

      Delete