12/12/2022

Christmas bells - The twelfth door

 
When I think of Christmas bells, my first thought goes to the Zimbelstern or cymbal star on the organ in our oldest church in town. The star has little bells which make a tinkling sound when the star rotates. For me that had always been a highlight of the Christmas service when I was a child.

Did you know, however, that there is a flower called Tasmanian Christmas bell (Blandfordia punicea)? It's one of those plants that blooms around Christmas. I hadn't heard about it before, but of course I'm not really a plant expert, anyway.
It's really pretty with the yellow shining out of the red and the long bell-like blossoms.

Blandfordia punicea - Tasmanian Christmas bells by Bill Higham on Flickr (CC-BY-NC-ND 2.0)

What I know more about is beading, so, after my little success with the puffy stars, I looked for a tutorial for beaded bells for this post that I could try with the beads I had on hand.
Luck was on my side and I found the Christmas bell by Sidonia's handmade jewelry on YouTube. So pretty and sparkly with the crystals!

My first attempt had a slightly different shape than Sidonia's bell, probably because instead of Superduos I only had Twin Beads which are not as uniform. Instead of getting that nice flaring out shape all the way down, my bell looked as if it had been on a diet and lost some weight around the waist.
I tried a second time using different Twin Beads that were a bit thicker, and this time it was a little better, but I still wasn't completely happy.
So I hope Sidonia will forgive me for modifying the pattern by adding extra beads to the "waist" and the bottom edge. Also, instead of wire headpins I used beads for the loop and the clapper.


Didn't they turn out cute? They also have a great size for pendants and earrings, but would also look nice on a gift, so maybe you want to try this yourself?

6 comments:

  1. I love these bells after your second attempt (I haven't seen the first one though). So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are very sparkly.
      Believe me, the first attempt was quite pathetic. I'm glad I modified the pattern for the beads I had on hand :-D

      Delete
  2. Isn't that a pretty plant? I've seen it before in plant nurseries, but did not know about it being a Christmas plant. Very interesting. Love your bells, they are so sparkly and festive. Great job of staying with it until you got them the way you wanted them to look. My favorite is the one in the center - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we have them here and I just never noticed.
      Thank you! The one in the center is my own favorite, too.

      Delete
  3. I’ve never seen Tasmanian Christmas Bells before. Beautiful! And now I wanted to make some beaded Christmas bells.

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They would look beautiful beaded. Maybe that's a project for the future.
      I'll remind you of the beaded bells next year ;-)

      Delete