12/10/2022

Chocolate marzipan cookies - The tenth door


They are rich, yummy, and deadly - filled chocolate marzipan cookies. You can't eat many of them in one go, but that's probably a good thing.
While they are not difficult to make as I'm told, they do take time and a bit of effort. I mentioned before that I missed out on the baker genes that run in the family, so I'm always happy that my sister makes them for Christmas.



Here's the recipe (in grams as I have been told before that odd numbers are too confusing, but I'm sure you will find a unit calculator):

Ingredients for the dough
- 200 g wheat flour
- 75 g corn starch
- 50 g ground almonds
- 100 g sugar
- 1 egg
- 200 g butter (cold)

Ingredients for the filling
- 100 g couverture (bittersweet)
- 100 g marzipan raw mass
- 100 g butter (soft)

Ingredients for decorating
- 200 g couverture (it can be milk or bittersweet, you can also use white additionally, but they are just as good with just one kind)

Mix the flour with the starch, almonds, and sugar. Add the egg and cut in the cold butter. Knead well, then wrap the dough in cling film and put in the fridge for an hour.

Roll the dough to a thickness of about 5 mm on a floured surface and cut out cookies of about 2 inch. Cover the tray with baking paper and bake 8 to 10 minutes in the pre-heated oven at a temperature of 200 °C. Take the cookies off the tray right away and let them dry thoroughly.

For the filling, cut the couverture into small pieces and melt, then let it cool down to room temperature. Grate the marzipan mass finely and cream it with the butter. Add the liquid couverture and mix well. Put some filling on a cookie and then a second on top. Let it dry well.

Melt the couverture for decorating. Dip part of the cookies into the liquid couverture and let dry well.
If you have white couverture as well, you can decorate the cookies additionally.

For those who try this recipe, let me know how you like it!

I also found this recipe on different websites, sometimes with only 175 g butter. The one my sister uses was from an old advertising brochure which went into her personal recipe collection.

6 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, those look delicious! I may just try that recipe. I wasn't familiar with the term "couverture", but I worked out that it is a type of chocolate. I'll have to look into that more, but I wonder if bittersweet bakers chocolate would be a good substitute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't known the English word for it, so I looked it up. Here "Kuvertüre" (the German word) is used for glazing a cake (or pralines, chocolate truffels, etc.) and the bakers chocolate for the dough itself.
      What I know is that couverture is regarded to be the finest chocolate because of its higher content of cocoa butter.

      Delete
    2. THis is for dawn https://www.thespruceeats.com/couverture-chocolate-520352 I had to look it up too It's very fine chocolate. A german deli might have something otherwise I think Bakers chocolate is all we're going to find.

      Delete
    3. How funny, I never really thought about it not being easily available in North America because we use it a lot here.

      Delete
  2. I didn’t inherit any baking or cooking genes either, but those cookies look fabulous. Lucky you for having a sister that makes them.

    Michelle
    https://mybijoulifeonline.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not this year, sob. That's okay, though, there will be "Rumschnitten" (actually I made these myself for my very first advent calendar in 2010 https://catswire.blogspot.com/2010/12/thirteenth-door-who-wants-to-lick-bowl.html) which I like even more.

      Delete