7/11/2026

10 on the 10th, erm, 11th - Cat Days of Summer

As you know, I don't like to post twice on one day, so I'm a day late for Marsha in the Middle's 10 on the 10th. I think you'll forgive me for that.
So let's see, what does Marsha have for us this month?


She's gotta be kidding me. Is that an evil laugh I'm hearing in the distance there? How could I keep it down to ten?
It will be difficult, but here you go - in random order as usual.

Cat herding. I still don't know what the company this commercial is for actually does (or did), but I couldn't care less, anyway. This is hilarious.



Looking at my hands, I know exactly who does this right now preparing for the next time I dare touching her without permission. Little hint ... she's black as well.


I don't think I need to say much about Franz Marc's "Die weiße Katze" from 1912. I love this painting.

From the collection of Kulturstiftung
Sachsen-Anhalt - Kunstmuseum Moritzburg
Halle (Saale)


It's pretty unbelievable that "Simon's Cat" has been around for 18 years already.
I still remember when one of our student helpers at work - who had a cat as well - said I just had to look at this video. We could both relate to this so much (minus baseball bat of course).



Théophile-Alexandre Steinlen didn't just include cats in many of his illustrations, he also sculpted cats.
We used to have a print of this poster he designed for the cabaret "Le Chat Noir" in 1896 on our wall. I wonder where it's now.


I follow Baby Corn on social media.
He's - actually, I'm not sure we even know all of what he is yet. He was surrendered to a city shelter as an orphan cat together with his two sisters at about three weeks old. They were normal size, Baby Corn wasn't. He's still small at over a year old, he's wobbly (cerebellar hypoplasia), he squints and he has a funny little flat top. He fights wind and corn and he's well traveled. And adorable.

Actually, Baby Corn is not the only cat with cerebellar hypoplasia I follow. There are also Elvis Westley and Nuggie, for example. If you wonder why, I used to have disabled pets myself.



Do you know "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers", created in 1968 by Gilbert Shelton? Then you also know Fat Freddy's Cat.


Bastet used to be a lion warrior goddess (still a cat, at least in parts) and later became the Egyptian cat goddess we usually associate her with today.

KS_aus_F (Katharina Surhoff) (GFDL)
via Wikimedia Commons
Statue at the Senckenberg
Naturmuseum Frankfurt

Medieval cats. Granted, many medieval animals look fantastic (as in a "too much cheese" fantasy), but the cats ... judge for yourself.


The cats from the cartoons of Scott Metzger, Mark Parisi - they also have other topics -, and Lingvistov. You see them and think, yup, that could be mine.
I follow Scott and Mark on social media and Landysh on Patreon (you can find old Lingvistov cartoons here), but am not going to share any of their cartoons here.
Instead I give you a caricature my animator friend made of me and the ex ages ago. Cat wearing a cat tee (I never had a nose like that, though!).


I hadn't planned to include my own cats because I knew going through their pictures would make me cry and it did, but I just couldn't leave them out. It would have felt wrong because of course they will always be my #1 favorites.
Afterwards I couldn't handle making another collage for the other family cats.



Quite the mix, isn't it? I bet tomorrow my list could be looking completely different and again the day after tomorrow.
Thank you, Marsha, that was (mostly) fun.
Did you notice something about the post?

24 comments:

  1. Marsha's suggestion is tough to pull off, how do you pick just 10? Your cats are all gorgeous! And I do remember EDS, it was a really well-known IT consulting firm back in my early professional days. Now I'm thinking if I should've sent them my CV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I wouldn't have made it even just by listing my babies.
      You should have. I bet they would have let you herd cats 😉

      Delete
  2. OMG! Herding cats is hysterical. It’s a phrase I use myself, but this visual is perfect. Great cat choices! I enjoyed all of them, but especially your personal kitty collage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even herd Gundel, she totally has me in her paw.
      Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Oh! And I’m the same about not wanting to post twice on the same day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those Medieval cat illustration always crack me up. Simon's cat is a favorite. But my all-time favorites are the ones drawn by B. Kliban. Especially the one that is strumming a guitar and singing about chewing on tiny mice feet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good choice! I didn't even think of Kliban. I know him, but didn't see his illustrations around as much he has never been as popular in Germany, I think? Or maybe never really made it over here possibly.

      Delete
  5. I really love your posts, Cat, and of course since I am a cat lover, this particular post absolutely delights me! :)
    I love the illustrations and photos, and thank you for sharing the videos as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha!!! I was wondering when this post was going to show up!!! First, the caricature of you and the ex...I just love that cat shirt you're wearing! Wasn't there even a Simon's Cat game for a bit? It seems like I played it on my iPad. Why did I think that poster was by Toulouse-Latrec (I probably spelled that wrong but was too lazy to google). Your kitty collage is quite lovely, and I'm sorry it made you cry. I do hope, though, now that you've made it, you can smile at all the love you gave and received.

    https://marshainthemiddle.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was up this morning, but notifications these days, oh well ...
      There was a time I had loads of cat shirts from The Mountain (small and big cats, but also the odd shark etc.). It was practically my trademark.
      Thank you, Marsha. It's just still too fresh and I don't think it will ever be not again.

      Delete
    2. Marsha, I don't have it installed right now, but I played Simon's Cat - Crunch Time for ages. Was it this one? Basically it's about feeding Simon and his cat buddies while dodging the traps from the not-so-friendly ones.

      Delete
  7. Now I have to start following Baby Corn. Just went to a cute cat cafe yesterday and had the best hour of my life. :)

    https://www.kathrineeldridge.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad we don't have one here. I would probably want to steal them all!
      Baby Corn is not only cute, but also an example of resilience for me. He flops over, he gets back up. Elvis is the same. He found his way to deal with walking as a wobbly cat and I love him.

      Delete
  8. Aw I love seeing all of your babies. And I love all of their names too. :)

    I think I need to follow Baby Corn. How adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Warning - he's hard to resist with his cute flat top.

      Delete
  9. That cat herding video is hilarious! I am glad Baby Corn is still going strong, I saw a few of his videos then I worried I'd get attached and he'd not make it. I do like the Milo videos, too. I couldn't put up pictures of my previous cats, it would make me cry, too, so well done for doing that. My current two, well, Willa had to have earwax removed 3 weeks ago and Percy had to have a procedure last week because he was constipated, both fine now but it took me a while to recover from carrying Percy home a mile in his carrier in case he relieved himself in it on the journey home (I usually get a taxi). Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so bad for still not being able to talk much about my boy because the hole is so big, so I forced myself to do it (and started crying just writing this).
      I totally understand what you say about Baby Corn. How easy it can be to get attached to a cat or dog you'll never know in person.
      Glad to hear that Willa and Percy are fine now. Is Percy a big cat? I have carried cats quite a bit (in a big and awkward to hold airplane carrier), not as far as my sister, though. A mile can be sooo long.

      Delete
    2. I'd picked up on your loss but wouldn't dream of mentioning it - you grieve in your own way and don't feel bad about anything. I'm very very quiet about losses myself.

      Regarding Mr Percy, yes, he is 6kg, plus his carrier, which is also big and heavy. So I had to hold it out awkwardly to the side and that made it worse. So he didn't bang against my leg. PLUS he shifted back so it was tilted. He did resolve his issue on the way home, at least, so I had done the right thing in not taking a taxi!!

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much, Liz ❤

      That was about the weight Dude had. So now I can imagine it perfectly, with the awkward holding. Dude kept walking in there, shifting back and forth as well. Doing that for a mile would have made me despair! Glad it was the right decision, imagine there would have been nothing for all that effort!

      Delete
  10. I love your favorite Cats Cat. This post made me think about this book about a library cat, I think his name was Dewey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Yes, Dewey. Funny, that's one cat book I never read.

      Delete
  11. That herding cats commercial is just so funny. I remember it!

    I loved the caricature of you and the ex. Too funny! Do you sometimes throw darts at it? *wink*

    I have a hard time talking about my cats that have passed away. It's just too hard...I choke up every time and often can't do it. I do like sharing funny stories about them, though, and that's one reason. I wanted to do this one. It was a crazy week that week, though, so I ended up never sitting down and writing it, but I really enjoyed yours. What a nice stress reliever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No darts. I love that picture and the paper is quite fragile 😁
      Just reading that comment made me choke up again, but I also feel it's not fair if I don't talk about them as they are still such a big part of my life. I think only someone who feels the same can understand, those for whom it's not "just a cat". Hugs to you.
      I'm glad the post gave you a tiny break.

      Delete

If you like what you've read, if you have a question, additional information or if you simply want to say hello, please do! I love comments and would like to hear from you.
Comments are moderated, however, to protect from spammers and trolls, so they will be published after approval.