7/28/2026

The need for speed?

Do you have an idea how many pages are out there offering reading speed tests or tips and techniques (7, 8, 12, 15, even 20) for increasing your reading speed and comprehension?
On the other hand, there are just as many pages about slow reading.
I browsed through a few and all of them listed benefits and downsides of the respective reading speed.

Picture via pxhere

There's no need to repeat them here as well. As usual, these are just my personal thoughts on the topic.

I read quite fast without ever having worked on any techniques, so I can't tell you if there are maybe things I do automatically. Although I have never timed my reading, it's definitely not speed reading and that's fine.
I can understand that someone who has to read a lot for research, studies or work would want to get through books or documents quickly. It has been a long time that I had to do that myself under the pressure of a deadline, though.
Personally, I don't think books that are read for pleasure need to be sped through. If you already are a speed reader, fine, but I don't need to become one just for them.

Actually, I thought I should rather look into slow reading instead. Change the pace every, now and then.
So I looked at a few tips after all.

Make a ritual of your reading by creating the perfect space and surroundings.
My perfect space is my bed, my favorite time is the night. With age, I have become much more intolerant to noises from the outside. Not the birds I can hear right now, but car doors slamming, sometimes cars in general, power tools, but also people talking loudly. I don't know if my street has really become louder or if it just feels like that to my brain.
Something to drink next to me is a must, cold or hot depending on the temperatures.

Ban the cell phone from the room / avoid multitasking.
My problem is not a smartphone as I don't have one, but the notebook if I use it to read, but if I notice feeling the urge of changing to a different page, that's usually the sign for me to stop reading for now, anyway. I'm not saying it never distracts me at all, though. Personal emails have indeed been answered during reading sessions before. 

Set small goals.
I don't set goals at all. I just read on as long as I feel like it and have time. So maybe that would be worth a try. Make myself stop and take a break every, now and then to allow the content to settle in my brain even more deeply.
It probably depends on the content, though. I can tell which books take me longer - biographies or classics, for example - while it's harder to take a break from my vintage crime books. Come on, I have to know who murdered Lord Holstonebrook in the folly and why they left an initialled baby blanket, don't I??

Take notes or mark something you really like.
Aah, I mentioned before that I'm not the journaling type at all. That hasn't changed so far, no matter how much I like a sentence or passage.

Reading goes well with selfcare - tea, a bath, soft music or aromatherapy.
I'm fine with the tea, but the others are not for me. I can't do longer tub sessions anymore, I don't do aromatherapy (not taking chances with an allergic cat), and even soft music is not my thing when reading. I only like background noise of any kind for crafting.

Discuss books with others.
Meeting people in a book club is out of the question for me for different reasons. I would prefer one to one discussions and by that I don't mean just reacting to a comment on an app or a blog post.
Also, part of the problem are probably the books I read or those I don't read.

So - is reading the way I do it just my kind of slow reading? I'll have to think about that.
However, I'm missing one thing in this list and that's reading loud. Even if it's not a book I read to Gundel, I read sentences or passages out loud to savor the beauty of a sentence or grasp the meaning of something better.

How do you feel about speed or slow reading and what do you prefer?

This post was inspired by a friend participating in a blog hop about how fast people read.


By the way, if you write book reviews or blog posts about other book-related matters - even movies based on books - please check out "A Good Book and a Cup of Tea", a monthly bookish blog link party that I host together with Erin from Still Life, With Cracker Crumbs and Lisa from Boondock Ramblings. You can find out more about it here.

20 comments:

  1. Hi Cat, I type 90 words per minute. When I finished high school I was typing 60 words per minute. But for myself, speed is not as important as enjoying what you are doing. This could be anything from reading to cooking.
    Accuracy and absorbing what you are doing is more important.
    I think there is too much emphasis on speed today.
    How many work accidents have occurred because there was too much emphasis on speed and not enough emphasis on the safety of everyone.
    Too many.
    Health and safety needs to be taken into account and not overlooked.
    Didn't mean to ramble on so much, but for myself there are more important things in life than speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't time myself on the book I'm reading at the moment, but I tried to get a feeling for the way I read in my own tempo. I understand the text, I re-read passages, so I think I'm at a good speed working for myself and that's all I want.
      After all we don't have the same tempo doing things. I'm quick at some, slow at some, for others it may be the other way round.
      You are always welcome to ramble!

      Delete
  2. At my age, I'm not a fan of anything too fast, including speed reading. When I had to do it for work, I remember trying different techniques, but the result was always having to reread more calmly. And if reading is for pleasure, I don't feel the need to rush. My only problem is finding the time to actually focus on reading, because my brain often likes to remind me of stuff (why, brain!?) and I get distracted. But when I can read properly, I don't need a bath, drinks, or scents or anything. What I can't do is read in bed... because the second I see the bed, I fall asleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, tell me about the brain. The other day it was so active that I read the same paragraph at least six times before I decided it wasn't the right moment to read and do the book justice. I had hoped it would calm my brain down, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
      You know that my bed has always been my favorite spot. I don't have a couch and although my TV armchair is quite comfy, it's not the same as my bed for reading and crafting (cats!). Ponder was the only one who ever kept me company in my armchair. I get that it doesn't work for everyone, though, and I know it's not recommended to do it like I do, but I'm happy with it.

      Delete
  3. I have never been a particularly fast reader. Even in college, I felt that it was important to truly grasp the details, not just get through it - although there were times I wished I could have. And now, I like savoring book. Currently, I’m reading a classic autobiography. (A double whammy in regard to speed.) It’s a bit easier for my mind to wander than if I’m reading a mystery or intriguing sci-fi. So, at that point, I stop and pick up one of my fiction books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I took forever for the biography of Lillian Moller Gilbreth and the one of J. M. Barrie. It also depends on the style. Those two had a lot of detail. I absolutely had to jump between them and some lighter fiction.
      I think I'm a mix of rather fast reading and obsession once I start and feel the flow (just like in crafting where I had endless patience), but as I said, it's by no means speed reading.

      Delete
  4. My reading style has definitely changed over the last few years. I blame the c word. I was so anxious during that time that I think my brain rewired itself. It’s a shame, really, because I love to read and discover new things or characters. Part of it could be I play too many games on my iPad. And, that’s where I mostly read my books…through Libby. I need to read a good old fashioned hold in your hand book!

    https://marshainthemiddle.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read so much more digitally now because I don't want to add to my library, but I still think a real book just touches something else in me. That's probably one reason why I enjoy reading for my children's book posts, the double impact of feeling the old magic of the content/memories and the magic of touching pages.
      Do you want me to cheer you on?

      Delete
    2. Hahaha!! If you do that, I’ll probably slow down because I’m so cantankerous!

      Delete
  5. I tend to be a fast reader as well and always have been. I can remember my classmates accusing me of not reading all the books I would log or report on as they assumed I was cheating my way through but that wasn't the case. I am definitely not a speed reader either but I do enjoy the speed at which I read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if you don't have outside pressure, you should find a pace that works well for you, and it doesn't always have to be the same, either. It's great that you enjoy yours.
      I was just amazed at all the tips around speed and slow reading!

      Delete
  6. I have absolutely no idea why one should want to read faster. Why should you? I don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FOMO maybe? I know people with some pretty long TBRs.

      Delete
  7. I feel like my life is always hurry, hurry, hurry and I hate it. Run here, run there. I am always squeezing things in for me, like blogging in the morning or reading later in the day. I don't purposely try to do anything fast though, and I definitely don't try to read fast. I do read pretty quickly but that is just how I read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an interesting topic because I consider myself a slow reader. I always end up wishing I had my husband's speedy reading skills, I've never been able to read a novel in one sitting regardless of how short it may be. I'm only slightly jealous because I just know how many books are on my tbr and I wish I could get through more but I also do love sinking into a book and enjoying it slowly so I'm torn. I have looked up tricks to read faster in the past even though I already naturally do a lot of them but I also need to practice leaving my cell phone in another room more lol. I love that you focused on tips to make reading more intentional and all-encompassing. Yesterday I was reading a book that kept putting me to sleep so I ended up going to the park to read and it was so much more pleasant.

    Also, I've heard that some people when they read they sort of 'hear a voice' reading inside their head (which feels very much me). When I read I'm reading at the speed that I would read if I was speaking aloud which is why I can't read faster. Versus the people that don't 'hear' that voice when they read so they just absorb sentences faster. I don't know how much truth there is to that but I think about that a lot lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it helps to tell yourself that you will never get through all of the books on your TBR. I don't mean that in a rude way and I know it's kind of frustrating, but there are so many books out there already and there will be more and we don't stand a chance. Better be realistic and have fun with those we can do whatever our own definition of fun is - reviewing, sharing with others, a book club, reading through the night, reading in the park (you may have inspired another nostalgic blog post there), reading standing on your head if you want! 🙃

      That's a really good point you make there! I never really thought about it before, but I actually "hear" a voice while reading. I don't think I hear it always, though, and it wouldn't win an elocution prize because it doesn't pronounce whole words. It's more like a mumbling of word bits. I'll have to watch that. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. A good topic! I read really quickly and it annoys some people, who make funny comments about how many books I read per month (I also have a good amount of time available for reading but I definitely read quickly). Matthew reads at 2/3 of my speed. How do I know this? Because we were on a long coach trip (from somewhere up north on the Croatian coast to Dubrovnik and back) and somehow had only one book to read, and every time I finished a double-page spread, he pointed to where he was 2/3 of the way through it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I had people ask me before if I really read all of those books. This month started much more slowly because the heat is beginning to affect my eyes and concentration.<
      How funny you could measure it like that! 😄

      Delete

If you like what you've read, if you have a question, additional information or if you simply want to say hello, please do! I love comments and would like to hear from you.
Comments are moderated, however, to protect from spammers and trolls, so they will be published after approval.