3/04/2023

Vampire Bat Angie

I have to admit it to myself, I am not very good with jewelry at the moment. There's a pair of earrings in my drawer that is only waiting for me to decide on earwires. There are also a few small beaded hearts in a baggie waiting to be used in something. I keep picking things up and putting them down again.

Feeling so little motivation right now has a lot to do with what's going on, in the big world and in my small world.
Luckily that doesn't seem to mean that I can't get creative at all. My muse obviously thought that it was about time for me to work on a doll design that - together with two others - has been on my table for months now. This time I actually doodled a sketch of three outfits (during a meeting when I wasn't needed) that had already been in my head even months before that, more to remind me than to follow them in detail.
My doll outfits develop during the process, and not even I can tell what they are going to look like in the end.

For this one, I used an Angie doll for the very first time, a lovely Topper brunette with the head mold P10.
Her hair color doomed her to become the bat lady. You may remember that I have become quite fascinated with bead embroidery wings (ooh, just had an idea for another design), and I definitely saw Angie mostly in black with bat wings. If I still rerooted heads, I might even have been tempted to give her black hair. And call her Angelina for a more romantic vampire name.


The first decision was about the dress being tight or an opulent ball gown style, the flowing nightgown style was out right from the start. One thought that popped into my head, probably because I had been watching old Addams Family episodes on YouTube, had been a dress like that of Morticia, but first, Morticia is not a vampire, and second, I want to make my own designs.
So the dress finally became tight, but there is no plunging neckline, no long sleeves - not only because they are difficult to make with beads as the arms are so close to the body, but because I wanted the contrast of the arms against the wings - and instead of the "tentacles" at the bottom the skirt flares out at a higher point and is a little longer at the back.


To sew crystals to part of the skirt, was a spontaneous decision. Black and siam red is a combo that is irresistible to me. Only when it got dark and I turned the light on, I noticed that I had used both dark and regular siam crystals. It's hard to believe as in these pictures the dark siam seems almost black, but in daylight you have to look very close to tell them apart if you use black thread. Luckily, I liked the effect of different "blood drops" and therefore just added a few more of the light siam crystals instead of ripping everything out.


As usual, I beaded and beaded on the dress until then it was almost too late to make the shoes. Will I ever learn?
Then I realized that I have never thought about vampires' shoes before. Ballerinas, high heels, slippers? I took the easy way out with some simple sandals because they aren't seen underneath the long dress, anyway. They have slim ankle straps, soles and two straps across the toes.


Much more interesting are the wings, at least to me.
I haven't succeeded in getting a good video (yet, I will keep trying) that shows the sparkle of the silver lined red bugle beads against the AB shimmer of the shiny black sequins.
I could have used matte black sequins or shiny ones without the AB finish, but I love the effect of black exploding into color with a small movement.


You know I love making accessories, but they wouldn't have worked in this case.
Angelina just got a small choker with a "vampire bite".

I am still contemplating either trying my hand on some red lips and vampire teeth for her myself or outsourcing the task to someone who's quite probably better at it.
Even that doesn't happen, however, I am really happy with my dark beauty!


Angie and Dawn were registered trademarks of the Topper Company. I am not affiliated with Topper in any way.

4 comments:

  1. Cat, you never cease to amaze me. Just when I think you've done it all, you pull another trick out of your sleeve. She is so gorgeous and her wings are fantastic. I'm so glad you have another outlet to fulfill your creative side when jewelry making isn't motivating you. I could so relate to your statement about picking up a piece and then setting it down again because it wasn't inspiring you. Back on topic - she is stunning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      The experience of beading for dolls is completely different from making jewelry. It may sound silly, but I even talk to them while working. Angie has this slightly judging look and I had to do everything to please her! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Angelina is gorgeous! I’ve always admired Morticia’s gown too, so I’m not surprised that she was looked at as part of your inspiration. I am always in awe of your beaded clothes, but the wings are magnificent. I love the iridescence. You have outdone yourself, and that’s sayin a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle, that's so sweet!
      Morticia's dress - and I really can only refer to the original cartoons and the first show because I never watched a whole movie - is very cool, but if I tried something like it, the whole doll would have to be Morticia, hair and makeup and all, and that's not what I do.
      There are more wings on my list :-D

      Delete