4/09/2015

Barbie and tiny glass beads, the story of a new obsession - Part 3, The accessories

As promised last time today's post is all about accessories.

What comes to mind when you think Flapper? Headbands, feathers, long necklaces, earrings, crystals, pearls, shoes, bracelets ....

These shoes were a donation by my sister. I didn't have an extra pair of vintage black heels and many of the modern shoes don't work well on the bigger and harder vinyl feet of the old dolls. Golden instead of silver sprinkles would have been perfect, but not only did they fit, Barbie could also stand in them on her own if you did it right. Of course I use a stand anyway.
To make the shoes more 20s, I sewed on straps from the beads that I had also used in the dress.


I didn't have to go far for the necklaces. In my stash I have tiny beads and pearls. For these four strands in two different lengths I chose black onyx and golden freshwater pearls to pick up the colors in the dress.


For the headband I made a simple brick stitch band and added some decorations.


And once again my sister pulled a rabbit out of her magician's hat ... or rather peacock feathers from an old carnival costume. Of course a whole feather would have been much too big, so I cut one up instead and sewed the parts to the headband.


I felt more would have been too much, so I did without more jewelry. Instead I just re-painted the fingernails and turned my attention the head.
That will be the story for the next post then. I hope I'll see you there again!

If you missed the earlier posts, you can find them here:
Part 1, The introduction

Part 2, The dress


Barbie is a registered trademark of Mattel, Inc. I am not affiliated with Mattel.


2 comments:

  1. Every bit of it is so perfect. Every little detail. Fabulous! I love this flapper doll so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's hard to stop once you've started pulling accessories together!

      Delete