10/08/2020

Oldies but Goodies - Candy

Today's post takes me back to my childhood. No worries, I'm not going to give you "but when I was young, we had to walk ten miles to the candy store ..." talk.
Candy still had to be earned the hard way sometimes. It meant looking for change in the couch or in the Danish cookie tin full of buttons or the sewing box, oh, and the despair if you were missing that one precious "Pfennig" to get you exactly the candy you wanted. A while ago I saw a group of kids who told each other how they all couldn't be bothered to pick a cent up off the ground. Times change.

The topic for the Jewelry Artisans Community Oldies but Goodies Challenge was candy, and the pieces entered really brought back a few memories.
The color of one stone reminded me of "Gletschereis" (glacier ice) candy which used to be squares with a round part in the center that was thinner, so if you sucked them long enough, you would get a little hole which you could stick the tip of your tongue through. There were fruit candies like that as well, but I can't remember for the life of me what they were called.
The color of another made me think of raspberry candy which was made to look a little like a raspberry.
Or what about the hard bunny candy that came in caramel and red sugar which lasted you forever and were a real danger for fillings?

I could go on, but enough with the memories now, time for the collage!

1 and 4 My Bijou Life
2 and 3 RioRita
5 and 7 Cat's Wire
6 Jewelry Art by Dawn

4 comments:

  1. This candy looks so good! People should try it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your ring will always have the glacier ice association to me now! :-D

      Delete
  2. Everything looks good enough to eat! I wonder if I was attracted to rock candy as a kid because way in the future, I'd be playing with real rocks and turning them into jewelry?

    When I was a young child, I remember going grocery shopping with my mom. The candy display was at the check out (I'm sure because the marketing people knew little kids would beg for candy) and I'd always ask if I could have a candy bar. Sometimes the answer was yes and sometimes it was no. When it was 'yes', it took what seemed like forever to choose what I wanted to the point that the store employee and my mom would be staring at me and tapping their feet. No matter, I was always happy with my choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some candy definitely looks like jewels. Also, remember the "crystal cakes" that were trendy a few years ago?
      Yes, the candy display is there on purpose and it always works, even on me now! ;-)

      Delete