A week ago, I posted about using tiny 1.8 mm cube beads for a kite shape and announced this post about using the 3 mm cubes.
These bigger beads and I have a bit of a fraught relationship. When I started out crocheting and then knitting with wire, a friend told me that she had big cube and triangle beads which would be just perfect. They were leftovers from her beading days - that should have been a warning, if she didn't know how to use them, how would I? - and she would make me a good price.
In the end, I gave in and literally regretted it for years. The triangle beads were easier to use, but the cubes - there were loads and they were too heavy to use really many of them in pieces of jewelry ... I can't even tell you how often I tried something and ripped it up again. Finally, I used quite a few in my "pineapple slices" aka Christmas ornaments.
One experiment from when I also started bead looming was using them for that. Where the tiny cubes worked quite well, though, the big ones just didn't look and feel right at all.
Eventually I cut up the one bracelet I had made and the big tube of beads went back into the tin with all my tiny cubes where I found it again now.
Years ago I had a regular "tackle that stash" day on my blog to motivate myself to use up really old supplies - maybe it was time to tackle this bead tube ...
So this is how these two pairs of earrings were created (and now there are only about a dozen beads left which I call success).
I'm sure you have seen the earrings which have a beaded triangle on top, sometimes a diamond with four sides of the same length, in one or more colors, sometimes with a pattern, and a fringe.
This is the same idea, only with "cube kites".
For the fringes I dug into my stash of tiny crystals - and promptly threw a bunch of them all over the place 😂
It's difficult to catch in a picture, but I quite like the contrast of matte and sparkle.
Which version do you like better?
In the end, I gave in and literally regretted it for years. The triangle beads were easier to use, but the cubes - there were loads and they were too heavy to use really many of them in pieces of jewelry ... I can't even tell you how often I tried something and ripped it up again. Finally, I used quite a few in my "pineapple slices" aka Christmas ornaments.
One experiment from when I also started bead looming was using them for that. Where the tiny cubes worked quite well, though, the big ones just didn't look and feel right at all.
Eventually I cut up the one bracelet I had made and the big tube of beads went back into the tin with all my tiny cubes where I found it again now.
Years ago I had a regular "tackle that stash" day on my blog to motivate myself to use up really old supplies - maybe it was time to tackle this bead tube ...
So this is how these two pairs of earrings were created (and now there are only about a dozen beads left which I call success).
I'm sure you have seen the earrings which have a beaded triangle on top, sometimes a diamond with four sides of the same length, in one or more colors, sometimes with a pattern, and a fringe.
![]() |
| My own "Jaws" design |
This is the same idea, only with "cube kites".
For the fringes I dug into my stash of tiny crystals - and promptly threw a bunch of them all over the place 😂
It's difficult to catch in a picture, but I quite like the contrast of matte and sparkle.
Which version do you like better?




I like both designs; it’s hard to choose. And I agree with the matte-gloss combination. Maybe the second one, because of the color combination. But the Jaws design made me smile, and I would happily wear it to any event, the more formal, the better ☺️.
ReplyDeleteWe are big fans in the family of what we call the "fish film"! 😁 I have to admit that the design made me very happy as I didn't know if I could fit both the swimmer and the shark in.
DeleteI have always loved statement jewellery and especially earrings! They are gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Nancy! Some of my pieces are rather big and and sometimes a bit crazy, especially the pendants.
DeleteThese are amazing and beautiful, Cat. So creative. 😊 I hope you have a lovely week ahead. 💗
ReplyDeleteThank you, my friend! I hope you do, too!
DeleteI love these! They turned out beautifully! If I had to pick I would say the second pair just because I like the teardrop shape, but the colors in the first pair are stunning together!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Laura! I know what you mean. I wanted to do a pair with more subdued colors and one over the top that picked up the colors of the cubes and that full fringe is definitely over the top.
DeleteYou are so talented! I like both, though something about the second pair draws me more. I think it's funny you didn't think about why she was willing to let them go!! That's something I would definitely do. In fact, I did! When my older friend who taught me to knit again moved to the other side of the country, she had lots and lots of yarn. She gave me some. As the date for her to leave got closer and closer, her daughter texted me and asked me to come look again. I ended up with a car full of plastic bins of half started projects, books, gadgets and gizmos! I have unraveled a couple of things because, of course, I didn't know a) which piece she was knitting and b) I didn't know where she'd left off! So, I totally understand not thinking about it at the time...just being excited about getting the things!
ReplyDeletehttps://marshainthemiddle.com/
Thank you, Marsha!
DeleteI like how Laura pointed out the teardrop shape in the second pair, I didn't even see that, but I have always been drawn to that shape.
To be honest, I really gave in because she was so persistent. When that parcel arrived, my first thought was "oh no" and the second one "well, I'll be able to do SOMEthing with them", but then I wasn't! I have definitely been excited about other destashes, though, that I haven't had great ideas before, but none of them has been that overwhelming. I hope you knew what to do with everything you got!
I think they're beautiful! I'm so impressed. I wouldn't be able to do create something like that in a million years.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much, Nicole! I started out with wire techniques, then added bead looming, and only then came bead embroidery and off loom beading because for the longest time I said I couldn't do that. I guess it was just the right moment to try.
DeleteStunning! I love them both, but if I were forced to choose a favorite, I would choose the second pair.
ReplyDeleteThank you! I would probably choose the first one because of my long hair as they are seen more easily and the dangle tangle danger - I couldn't resist - is lower.
DeleteI really like that last pair a lot, but each pair is unique and pretty!
ReplyDeletewww.chezmireillefashiontravelmom.com
Thank you very much, Mireille!
DeleteI love the Christmas ornaments!
ReplyDeleteThank you!
DeleteI love them, too. It's hard to take a good picture of them, but in the light they sparkle on the tree. I used to hang them from hooks so they would dangle and move, but as they kept being taken down by the furry ones, I just put them directly on the branches. If they get bent, you just bend them back, it's really perfect!