Mom has been asked if she'd like to participate in the Global Writing
Challenge on the second Thursday of the month. Yes, you are seeing that right, Mom has been asked, but I'm writing this post, Gundel the black panther lady and boss of this place.
It will go live a little early (to avoid collision with Mom's silent
films), so if the posts of the others are not live yet, please check
back later.
The current membership consists of Deb’s World, Suzy Turner, Within a World of My Own, Once Upon a Time Happily Ever After, Marsha in the Middle, Coffee and Cocktails at the Casa, and Mom. It's fun to learn how differently everyone interprets a topic.
You can play along and link up with them!
If that's too short notice for you, maybe next time?
Here are the prompts for the next months.
September - Poetry
October - Birthday
November - Superstition
December - Why do you blog?
The prompt for today was "A Day in the Life", chosen by Leslie, and Mom asked me to help her out.
Honestly, I may be named after a witch, but there's only so much magic even I can do. Making Mom sound more interesting than she is isn't necessarily among that.
Wait a second, though ... it says "A Day in the Life". That doesn't have to be a description of a "normal" day in her life. I can just pick any day I want, right? Let me think ...
How about the day two detectives turned up at her door asking for her then-husband? She got so nervous that she made a dumb joke asking if he was a bigamist (it was about having unknowingly bought a stolen computer off eBay some years before and as they were just one name on a very long list, police only wanted a picture of the serial number).
Or the night she got the call about her transplantation and confused the caller by telling them she still needed a moment to think - you have to process something like that first after just two hours of sleep - and the day after?
The day she picked up a prairie dog from the local zoo for bottle feeding (and the time after when she always took him to work with her)?
![]() |
| Fips as a baby |
Wow, now I understand why she asked me to help out.
It really isn't as if Mom didn't have interesting days, but many people would probably just call the ones now boring.
Things began to change with Covid, self-isolating and working from home.
After decades of commuting and being surrounded by people all day - at work and on the train - Mom suddenly noticed how much she enjoyed being at home. Of course she would, after all I was there, and I too appreciated her being available for me more or less around the clock to be served in the way I deserved, only when I wanted it of course.
It was a good thing to learn as her health issues made it more and more difficult for her to be out and about.
So now her days are mostly like uniform beads in a string - she spends her time working, reading, watching movies, TV shows or documentaries, going down rabbit holes and blogging, crafting, doing chores, talking on the phone (landline, have I mentioned she can be very old-fashioned in some ways?), playing games online (her favorite are puzzle games), occasional errands, but most important of all, trying to find out what it is I want when cawing at her like a little crow. There have to be priorities after all.
![]() |
| Mom, Mom, Mom, Mom ... Moooom? |
Usually, she's fine with that, though. Living with chronic disease has taught her early to be quite happy about the things she was able to do - and there were times when she got around quite a bit - or can still do and try not to give in to sadness over not being able to do some things anymore.
Of course, there are moments when she wishes she could just jump up (just kidding, I've never seen Mom jump) and do something spontaneously again, but there are always books instead, right? And me!
Now let's see what the others have to tell us.
Amy shares her still fairly new routine as a stay at home dog mom/retired high school Spanish teacher living in Louisville, Kentucky.
Suzy writes about the little moments that make up her everyday life, from puppy chaos and yoga to coffee, creativity and cosy evenings at home.
Deb tells us about a long day of travel. It might have been longer than 24 hours, but who's counting?
Sally discusses how the rhythms of her daily life have changed 1 year on from leaving her job.
Marsha writes about a day when she’s going to the museum. You probably won’t be surprised at what goes on!
When she was still working, Leslie's favorite day of the week was Thursday with the weekend finally in sight. Nowadays, at long last comfortably settled into retirement, Leslie's favorite day has switched to Monday. Here's a look at a 'typical' Monday in her life. Sure to be a riveting read!!




I love the photos of Fips and the cat. I hope you are having a great week.
ReplyDelete"The cat", Linda? "The cat?" I'm shocked at the lack of respect humans keep displaying, but then I should be used to it by now, sigh. It's okay, Mom told me you love cats, I'll forgive you.
DeleteHave a great week as well, Linda!
Sorry. LOL! Yes, I do love cats....my profile picture has cats and I always post cat pictures on my blog. Sorry again.
DeleteDon't take Gundel too seriously, she's just crabby because I haven't opened the snack parcel yet.
Delete😂 😘
You take such good care of your mom! I love your writing, Gundel. Now I am really intrigued about the stories you shared. I hope you get plenty of accolades after such wonderful story telling.
ReplyDelete-Soma
If only she took such good care of me as well! Can you believe that she hasn't even opened the parcel with the snacks which arrived yesterday?
DeleteThank you and purrs to your companions!
I love that Gundel took over this post! Her commentary makes an ordinary day sound much more entertaining. I also really appreciated the reminder that a quieter life can still be a full and happy one—and of course, keeping Gundel properly served is clearly the most important part of the daily routine!
ReplyDeleteThank you very much, Laura, also for reminding Mom what's the most important task in her life!
DeleteHi Gundel, a very entertaining way of looking at this month's prompt! I enjoyed it :) Deb from Deb's world Australia
ReplyDeleteThank you! Mom can really be glad she has me. I don't know if she would have managed a post on her own.
DeleteVisits from the police (when nothing terrible) always make for interesting days....Cute take on the prompt!
ReplyDeleteI would understand if the police came for the crime of holding back snacks, they should be here every day!
DeleteWhat a fun post by Gundel! I'm so sorry that you can no longer do some things that you would like to do, due to illness. That really sucks. So fortunate that you have beautiful Gundel to take care of you, Cat!
ReplyDeleteBig hugs
Suzy xx
I think Mom is quite happy with me here now. Sometimes you just have to learn how to accept the circumstances. Thank you, Suzy!
DeleteSo creative! Love thinking about what animals are thinking - no offense to you, Gundel. Eddie Otis, my dog, wrote a post for me once. https://coffeeandcocktailsatthecasa.com/2026/02/24/im-two-today/
ReplyDeleteI keep the "good" thoughts to myself, believe me. Give my regards to Eddie Otis!
DeleteGundel, I do believe you have a bit of author in you! I’m so glad you shared these stories about your mom’s wilder side…a call from the police! OK, it was innocent enough but still funny to read. I didn’t know your mom had a chronic disease. I do hope you give her lots of time to pet and cuddle with you. I’m so glad she turned this post over to you because she seems to think she’s boring when we all know she’s very interesting!
ReplyDeletehttps://marshainthemiddle.com/
I'm an independent cat, but even now when it's so hot I sometimes like to snuggle up to her for a while.
DeleteBy "interesting" you meant "weird", didn't you? Did you know I was stolen right off a yard, for example (she calls it "rescued")?