6/25/2023

Under the blue moon

I really have to blame den Dekan for this or thank him. Probably both because it was definitely him who had hidden the blue dichroic glass cab, but because he also made me find it again when he hid something else in the same place before my eyes.
It was a nice surprise, and as I was still in "moon mode" from the moon hare that I made for the JAC challenge "Moon and Stars", I started humming Blue Moon. That's a lot of moon ;-)
We had the old single by Elvis Presley, so that's always the version that comes to my mind
first. Those were the times, me trying to convince my mother that I HAD to do my homework to background music aka all my father's old singles from the 50s and 60s.
Luckily we had the old "Musiktruhe" that I have shown here years ago, a TV/radio/record player combination. One of its very useful features was that you could put on several singles at a time (the family doesn't agree exactly on how many) which would then drop down and play one after another. I doubt my Mom would have approved of my getting up after each song and changing the single while doing homework.


And here is Elvis' voice in all its 1954 glory.



My mind began wandering.
Sitting near a lake listening to
the sounds of crickets and frogs ... spotting some dragonflies having settled for the night ... under a blue moon ...

With the blue moon, the nightly background, and the dark green blade of grass, I wanted a contrasting color for the dragonflies, so I chose a mix of red beads to embroider them, with clear AB sequins for the wings.
It reminded me of the time a red dragonfly visited me in our little garden once. We don't have a pond, so I guess it had come over from another garden to say hello and then headed back.

Quite some time and a bead order later because I ran out of background beads, I thought this would have made a fun bracelet instead of a pendant, but with the backing already sewn on, I finally decided against that and added a hex bead rope instead.
I tried to take a video to show how sparkly this necklace is, but that didn't work, so it will have to be a late night picture for now.

2 comments:

  1. It’s absolutely stunning, Cat! I love the stories that come with your creations. And thanks to Der Dekan. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Michelle, also for not getting bored with my stories! ;-)
      Sometimes I'm surprised myself that when I start writing down the first step, how clearly I remember the way things came together and all of that kind of flows into a piece, inspirations, stories, memories.
      My hope is always that a new owner will find a way to a piece with a story of their own.

      And with the help of the furry brat nothing can go wrong at all, LOL!

      Delete