3/01/2015

Quote of the week

It's true. I can get stuck in the IMDb message boards forever and read discussions about movies. This time I ended up in a thread with the title "People above 30, Why you didn't watch Labyrinth at theaters?" Well, I actually saw it at the theater, together with my little brother who liked it so much that we went right back the next day to watch it again.

Sarah is tired of having to babysit her little baby brother, Toby. She asks the Goblin King, Jareth, to take him away. When he really does, however, she goes into the labyrinth to bring Toby back.

Sarah: Give me the child.
Jareth: Sarah, beware. I have been generous up until now, and I can be cruel.
Sarah: Generous? What have you done that's generous?
Jareth: Everything! Everything that you wanted I have done. You asked that the child be taken, I took him. You cowered before me. I was frightening. I have reordered time. I have turned the world upside down. And I have done it all for you. I am exhausted from living up to your expectations of me. Isn't that generous?
Sarah: Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City. For my will is as strong as yours and my ...
Jareth: Stop. Wait. Look, Sarah. Look what I'm offering you. Your dreams.
Sarah: And my kingdom as great.
Jareth: I ask for so little. Just let me rule you and you can have everything that you want.
Sarah: Kingdom as great. Damn. I can never remember that line.
Jareth: Just fear me, love me, do as I say, and I will be your slave.
Sarah: My kingdom as great. My kingdom as great. *pausing* You have no power over me. You have no power over me!


Labyrinth, UK/USA, 1986

No comments:

Post a Comment