8/30/2018

Art Elements Design Challenge and Blog Hop - Swirl

This hasn't been my month for different reasons. Life got in the way and ate up my motivation, my concentration and my creativity.
It would have been easier to send an email in time saying sorry, can't do it this time. On the other hand I can be so stubborn. I've got this. Some light stretching, shaking my head free from the cobwebs, grabbing my wire and ... hm, can you also hear that cricket in the background? And where's that tumbleweed coming from regarding the fact I'm not even in a desert? Oh, dust bunnies. Wait, just how long have I been sitting here with that wire in my hand??

It's strange that swirls - the topic for August at the Art Elements Design Challenge and Blog Hop given us by Marsha - didn't make me jump all over the place with ideas. You know that I love to make tentacles for example which could have been one way out of this dilemma, but this time not even they helped me out. I drew a complete blank.
So I started making a little spiral hoping it would awaken some creative spark - today, on the day of the reveal! - , and there it was.
I had been admiring wire woven vessels for a long time. Mary Tucker's work was one of the first one of that kind that caught my eye. 
Basket weaving translated into wire fascinated me and I made some very feeble attempts long before I even contemplated diving deeper into the wire weaving world. Maybe it was time for another one, hopefully not that feeble this time.

This is a prototype or maybe a WIP. The piece is closed from both sides, so it's not like a basket, more like a chunky and rather heavy button. I'm not sure yet if I want to use it in a piece of jewelry or if I'm going to keep it as a reminder and as an inspiration to keep going and trying to make this work in my way. One thing I know, I will not be able to put it on my desk or Gundel will kick it round the place in no time! She already has that look in her eye ...
As you see I haven't put a bail on, I haven't oxidized, it just has been a bit of wire play for now, but who knows what's going to happen next? :-)




Other participants in the Challenge have not been quite as unmotivated or uncreative as I have been, so please go by their blogs and see what they have come up with. It's what I'm going to do myself now, and I do believe that they have to offer a big inspiration boost!

Guests
 
AlisonAnita - Cat (aka me) - Caroline - Jill - Kathy - Karin - Kimberly - MischelleRaven - Sarajo - Susan - Tammy 


AE Team Members
 
Cathy -  CarolineClaire - Jen - Jenny and Lesley - Laney - Marsha - Susan

31 comments:

  1. It will make a perfect talisman for when you need that extra umph to get through! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that looks so intricate , I really struggle with wire work, yours s very neat and lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill!
      I know I can do better than this if I'm not in a hurry, so now I'm actually looking forward to my next attempt :-)

      Delete
  3. This is already beautiful and I'm looking forward to what you will make with it and after. I hope it sparked your inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol looks like a few of us were surprised by the fact that we couldn't come up with ideas. :)
    Your wire project turned out just fantastic! (I can't believe it was ultra-last-minute. :) ) I'd wear it as a pendant any time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it too funny? *lol*

      Thank you, Anita!

      Delete
  5. A beautifully intricate woven piece .. in spite of your lack of motivation, time, etc.
    I didn't participate this month because of wedding preps and flying back home for daughter's wedding. Hopefully I can do it in Sep. (depending on theme :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pity you couldn't make it this time, but I'm looking forward to the next one, Alysen!
      Hope you have (had?) a wonderful wedding.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  6. The piece looks wonderful and also like a really versatile design element! :)
    And.... uhm.... I could no way ever turn something like this out in last minnute! I don't have the patience for wire weaving (or the patience to train until it becomes easier ;) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a little miracle anything came to me at all.
      I have enormous patience for some things and none at all for others.
      Isn't it great we all like to do different things? :-D That is also what I like about this challenge.

      Delete
  7. I love that you kept going even when motivation & inspiration was not there kicking you in the pants. Sometimes picking up some wire and fooling around with it results in great things. Thank you for not giving up and pushing forward to participate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marsha!
      Sometimes it's a very fine line you have to cross to get from empty to creative space!

      Delete
  8. Cat, that is beautiful. You mentioned button and I immediately saw this as a button on fall colored hooded cape. A muted color fall cape though as I would want the button to be the centerpiece! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Debbi.
      I immediately thought of a darker burnt orange or a darker red when I read this. Maybe I will find something to use this eventually, thank you for giving me that idea.

      Delete
  9. Looks like a lot of skill and time went into your piece. It will be gorgeous on whatever you pair it with. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love love love the weaving. I bet it will look even more amazing with patina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I usually like my copper at least lightly oxidized, too.

      Delete
  11. Wow! That's looking really cool. Thanks for sharing your roadblocks and work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so glad I managed to give myself that little kick ;-)

      Delete
  12. Love your wire weaving! This spiral piece reminds me of a bee hive. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      One of my first thoughts, too. My base wire was too short to make a bigger one, though, or I may have tried to put one of Laney's little bees on it!

      Delete
  13. Your wire wrapping is wonderful! Look forward to seeing what it becomes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      I just finished my second "training" piece and find it better already :-D

      Delete
  14. Looks great and reminds me of a snail shell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, hun!
      I wish I had an idea how to make an "ammonite". In fact my very first thought was making a little snail paperclip thing just for fun, without any wrapping.

      Delete
  15. Cat, that's really cool! Beautiful weaving, I could not do that with wire! I'm lookingn forward to seeing it finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! :-D I have been holding some beads against it to see if I would like it as a pendant or maybe even as a brooch although it's rather heavy.

      Delete