Welcome to the Weekend Traffic Jam Reboot!
My posts for the link up will go live on Thursdays at 9:30 p.m. EDT or, if you live in the future like I do, on Fridays at 3:30 a.m. CE(S)T.
My posts for the link up will go live on Thursdays at 9:30 p.m. EDT or, if you live in the future like I do, on Fridays at 3:30 a.m. CE(S)T.
In 2015, I mentioned the time we had to make a herbarium for school. Well, while that was the word used, we really just had to collect some leaves from trees. Most of us were not good at it, the only fun was that we had a big leaf swap meet. I don't know if that was the reason this project never got off the ground.
As always when I wasn't keen on a project, I procrastinated successfully until the last day. Then my grandmother said she would take me to the woods. Now. She pointed out leaves with her umbrella, I was to tear them off the trees. My favorite was what she said was a "blood beech", a beech with beautiful red leaves.
To this day, I have to think of my grandmother when I see red leaves, no matter the tree or season.
![]() |
***
And now my contribution to Anne's and Olivia's "Friday Book Snippets" where you share a quote - a sentence or short paragraph - from the beginning of a book you read at the moment and one from page 56 (or another).
Today, mine are from "At the Bottom of the Garden" by Diane Purkiss.
Beginning: "It was almost dark on a winter evening in Oxford when I first caught the fascination of fairies. I had always thought of fairies as dull, too pretty to be interesting. But suddenly I found myself reading about a fairy that wasn't pretty at all. He was Yallery Brown, a sprite from the Fen Country of Eastern England, and he was inexorably, mindlessly cruel."
Page 56: "Writing about fairies in the Middle Ages is, as we shall see, writing about nearly nothing. Talking about fairies is so fatal that very few people are willing to do it. That is why we are left with glimpses. No one wants to conjure a whole."
The subtitle tells us this is "A Dark History of Fairies, Hobgoblins, and Other Troublesome Things".
I only just started the book and can't say anything about it yet, but the idea that not all of the "Little People" are Tinkerbell is of course not new to me (one example being "Lords and Ladies" by Terry Pratchett!). I found this book as a recommendation after reading "Victorian Fairy Painting" by Jeremy Maas et al.
***
Back to the Weekend Traffic Jam.
As part of the reboot, we will be featuring a different blog every week.
How about stopping by and saying hello? Let them know we sent you.
This week our spotlight is on My Homemade Roots.
Melissa from My Homemade Roots says: "I’m Melissa, and this is my cozy corner of the internet, where I share from scratch recipes (ok, mostly from scratch), old-fashioned kitchen wisdom, and simple homemaking ideas inspired by the rhythms of the seasons. I have a love for hearty, old-fashioned meals, freshly baked bread, and a good canning recipe. I also love to share my gardening tips, craft ideas, and hints for simple living. I write about creating a home you love in the only tried and true way I know — one simple recipe or project at a time.
...
So whether you’re here for a cozy winter dinner, a spring baking project, or tips for preserving the summer harvest, I hope you’ll find something that inspires you—and maybe even reminds you of your roots."
Marsha from Marsha in the Middle started blogging in 2021 as an exercise in increasing her neuroplasticity. Oh, who are we kidding? Marsha started blogging because she loves clothes, and she loves to talk or, in this case, write!
Melynda from Scratch Made Food! & DIY Homemade Household - The name says it all, we homestead in East Texas, with three generations sharing this land. I cook and bake from scratch, between gardening and running after the chickens, and knitting!
Lisa from Boondock Ramblings shares about the fiction she writes and reads, her faith, homeschooling, photography and more.
Cat from Cat's Wire has what she calls a jumping spider brain. She has many interests and will blog about whatever catches her attention - crafts, books, old movies, collectibles or random things.
Rena from Fine Whatever Blog writes about style, midlife, and the "fine whatever" moments that make life both meaningful and fun. Since 2015, she's been celebrating creativity, confidence, and finding joy in the everyday.
Here are some of my picks from last week's link up.
Kim shows how to decorate pumpkins with temporary tattoos.
Judee found a thieving little squirrel in her garden.
Olivia shares her book related "fear".
Lydia talks about the dangers of AI in dating.
Debra shares her latest "Seven Days, Seven Snaps".
Let's link up!
Guidelines:
This link party is for blog posts only. All other links will be deleted.
Please link only blog posts you created yourself. Please link directly to the URL of your blog post and not the main address of your blog.
Please do not link to videos, sales ads, or social media links such as YouTube videos/shorts, Instagram or Facebook reels, TikTok videos, or any other social media based content.
Please do visit other blogs and give the gift of a comment.
Notice:
By linking with Weekend Traffic Jam Reboot, you assert that the content is your own property and give us permission to share said content if your post or blog is showcased.
We welcome unlimited, family friendly content. This can include opinion pieces, recipes, travel recaps, fashion ideas, crafts, thrifting, lifestyle, book reviews or discussions, photography, art, and so much more!
Thank you for linking up with us!






No comments:
Post a Comment
If you like what you've read, if you have a question, additional information or if you simply want to say hello, please do! I love comments and would like to hear from you.
Comments are moderated, however, to protect from spammers and trolls, so they will be published after approval.