I'm old. So old that I have plenty of memories of standing in a yellow "Telefonzelle" (literally "phone cell") for a phone call, either because I didn't want anyone to listen in at home - calls to my boyfriend - or because I was out and about. Yes, so old that I spent half of my life without a cell phone.
Not all of those memories were good ... like the time I called the ex to tell him I flunked my first driving test. Others were weird ... like the time I had a kind of party line effect and one person didn't understand that I had not even called them.
I remember the times when there were no telephone cards and you could only pay with coins, even those when a local call was really cheap even if you talked longer than a few minutes.
At the time, you could still see the coins you put in run down the chute behind a little window. Making an international call made your money disappear faster than ice in hot water.
![]() |
| That brings back memories although my very first ones are of black phones. |
![]() |
| The wrong telephone model, but the right phone box (on the right). Picture by Juergen Rosskamp, CC BY-SA 2.0 DE via Wikimedia Commons |
The title, however, may give you an idea of "the iconic phone box" (hint: not calling it phone booth) I really want to talk about.
It's of course the British phone box in red - the K series from K1 to K8 (K standing for kiosk).
![]() |
| K2 and K6 (the most common model) telephone boxes in Smithfield Market Picture by Mike Quinn, CC BY-SA 2.0, via Wikimedia Commons |
As you can tell, however, it's not a Random Saturday post which is a sign that I'm not going to talk about its history in detail.
Instead I'm going to show you my latest Lego project.
I've had the set around since October 2025 and there's a reason why I had completely forgotten about it until now.
Now it was high time, however, to get the (Lego) box off the floor and the (phone) box on my shelf.
At least, I kept telling that myself for a few weeks. Until we had a partial power failure in the house. To distract myself during waiting for either a technician fixing it remotely or having to come to us to check it out, I finally grabbed the box and started.
Two days later, they found the problem hadn't been solved and turned the power off for repairs (actually the whole block had been affected). So cut off from everything (except contact via my 18 year old cell phone which was charged for a change), I managed to keep going. Silver linings, eh?
This phone box is based on the K2 kiosk.
There were telephone kiosks even before the K1 which was made from concrete with a teak door.
Only with the K2 which was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (like the cheaper K3 and later the K2 successor K6) and chosen by the GPO (Post Office) out of five models in 1925, phone boxes got their red color.
The first K2 was erected in Charing Cross Road 100 years ago - in March 1926 -, the others were set up mostly in London as it was a costly design.
Today, around 200 of them still exist and are listed Grade II (buildings etc. of special interest in a national context).
If you are interested in more details, check out the article cited below.
It almost took me 100 years to build the kiosk, at least it felt like it - all my own fault too as I had to bring in the wrecking ball more than once to fix a few very stupid mistakes. But hey, I have those inexplicable bouts of patience and determination, just ignore the bite marks in the bench and the tears on the phone box, please 😜
![]() |
| I love the fence, it reminds me of some in front of houses in my old neighborhood which I loved even as a child. |
![]() |
| Detail views |
![]() |
| K2 interior for comparison Picture by Murgatroyd49, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons |
It will look really good next to my London bus, don't you think?
Source and further reading (very interesting article):
Nigel Linge, Neil Johannessen, Andrew Hurley, Andy Simmons & Andy Sutton: Sir Giles Gilbert Scott’s K2 Telephone Kiosk — A Design Classic. In: Industrial Archeology Review, 46, 2024, 2, pp. 87 - 98. DOI 10.1080/03090728.2024.2410137 (open access)









So pretty! And so much detail! What's not to love about LEGO? It's not really relevant right now, but for years I was involved in robotics competitions for kids with LEGO robots. Back to the project, gorgeous. And yeah, it'll look great with the bus. I remember reading that booths like these are now used in the UK as little libraries, where you can grab and drop off books.
ReplyDeleteHow cool! I can imagine that that was a lot of fun. Were they very competitive? I was never into Lego Technic myself, I don't have the technical head, but I like seeing what others come up with.
DeleteThey did the same with some of the German phone booths, but of course they are not as iconic as the British ones. I was still sad to see all of them go.
I completely forgot to mention that the set gives you the choice between the old phone or a modern one. Of course I had to pick the old one!
Competition was another motivating factor, but for us, it was already enough that they were learning while having fun and working as a team. Those who won the local competition and progressed to the international stages had to raise money to cover their travel and accommodation, and that was also part of the learning experience. Children are very creative — they all managed to do it.
DeleteThese are fantastic, Cat. Here in Montreal we have a model of the red phone box. There is no telephone in it, it is just a replica of the British one.
ReplyDeleteI'd love to have one in the neighborhood.
DeleteOMG! That’s incredible! When I saw it on FB, I didn’t realize you had built this. Every tooth mark on the table was worth it!
ReplyDeleteIt is a set with instructions of course (that I'm obviously too stupid for, sometimes you have to look really close). I certainly don't have the brain for something like this and I admire the guy who entered it in the "Lego Ideas" category. It's really incredible what some people come up with!
DeleteLike too I grew up with phone boxes and phones that had a wire. Sometimes I kind of miss them! They at least made sure you couldn't be available all the time and everywhere. I'm very impressed by your beautiful Lego phone box. It's lovely.
ReplyDeleteMy cell phone is turned off most of the time even if I'm not at home, but of course it's easy to turn on if I need it after all. No running to the next phone box and checking if you have enough coins. And still it makes me nervous to see so many people on their phone all the time.
DeleteWhat a lovely phone box! And it's so much fun to hear your memories of using the phone box. My dad, 99, was talking to his grandson, 22, about phones, and Colin was shocked to hear that not only didn't my dad have a cell phone when he was young, but he didn't have any sort of phone at all in his house!
ReplyDeleteOh, I bet he can tell him a lot to be shocked at! Your dad must have so many stories and things, especially technology, has changed so much.
DeleteI can't remember anyone among my friends in my childhood (the 70s) not having a phone yet, but those phone boxes were still really in demand.
We had phone boxes on every corner of my hometown, it seems. I don't think there are any now. We always had to use coins, though. My dad worked for the phone company so we had a private line. My friends did not. It was fun to pick up the phone and listen in on others' phone conversations.
ReplyDeleteYour Lego phone box is so cool. No, I really don't need to start that. I would do the art series or the flowers. But, where would I put them? And, Jack's poop would be quite brightly colored, I just know!
https://marshainthemiddle.com/
There was a transition time when we had those for coins and those for phone cards (I asked my sister because I hadn't remembered).
DeleteI hadn't even wanted more sets, but when I got the Christmas tree and the phone box, I was in a really depressed mood, also because my hands didn't cooperate with the beads at all at the time, and wanted something not to just put on a shelf, but to "make". While there are still interesting sets, I'll just ignore the temptation now. Do you think he'd be a brick eater? Oh my!
This is such a darling project. I love these phone boxes. When they were cancelled I saw someone turn a red box into a mini library and thought that was brilliant.
ReplyDeleteAmalia
xo
The UK, especially London, can't afford to lose their phone boxes completely, and like I wrote, the existing K2 are grade II listed. Tourists want their picture with a red phone box!
DeleteHere, they converted a few phone booths - none in my town - but also conductor booths on platforms in train stations etc. into book cabinets. I think it makes totally sense for train stations to have that.
I don't know how they got it, but one was converted for our little library in a small town in Pennsylvania, USA. I really need to ask where they got it.
DeleteMaybe it's also a replica like the one Linda said they have in Montreal? But of course it's possible they had it shipped over.
DeleteThat Lego set is darling! We used to have phone booths on street corners when I was growing up but ours were all glass and silver metal.
ReplyDeleteI have always been a fan of a lot of detail (which disturbed the relationship to one of my art teachers who was a big fan of minimalism) and this set is a winner with the fence and the pretty ground and flowers.
DeleteWhat an amazing set! That's so cool and yes, I think it would look perfect next to the London bus!
ReplyDeleteAt the moment, it's one shelf space up. To put them together, I'll have to move a load of books.
DeleteOh I love this, and I also love the railings. What a sweet project! I just did a sum and realised I have had a mobile phone for EXACTLY half my life!
ReplyDeleteI forgot to write that they had a picture on their site saying you could use it as a smartphone holder - using the space between the fence and the bollards (my pal told me because he thought it was extra funny that I got this set).
Delete