6/21/2017

Oldies but Goodies - Coins

We all know coins. We have our favorites, maybe we collect foreign ones from our trips, or we throw them all into a big glass and forget about them.
When I was a teenager, one of my pen pals lived in Australia. Once she sent me an Australian penny, drilled so I could wear it as a pendant which I did for a long time until the chain broke. Then I set it aside and now it has to be in one of those safe places you put such things. As soon as I find it, I'll turn it into a pendant!

Today's post, however, is almost a spotlight for one of our long time members. Every time Irith shows us one of her coins set in a pendant or ring, we are fascinated which has not only to do with the craftsmanship, but also the coins she uses - they are antique. I wish I could tell you something about the coins in her entries for this week's Jewelry Artisans Community Oldies but Goodies Challenge, but I can't. You can see even more of them if you click through to the challenge thread via the link above.

I mustn't forget the entry that Dawn made just in time. In fact her earrings triggered the memory of my Australian penny.

Let a question end this post - can you find out which coin is not a real one? ;-)


1/4/7 Cat's Wire
2/5/6/8/9 RioRita
3 Jewelry Art by Dawn

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful jewelry made with coins.

    Cat, your Susan B. Anthony coin should have been included. It is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irith's work definitely stands out. I wish I had asked her details about her coins beforehand.
      Thank you about Susan, too. She is actually there as #4, but it's a little hard to see in this size.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. She's a sneaky one ;-) Probably confused about all those antique men!

      Delete