5/25/2014

Quote of the week

I'm old. I never tire to tell people that, not to fish for compliments, but because I often feel that way today. To be old doesn't have to be a bad thing, though. Just imagine all the things we have experienced that today's kids have missed out on ... disco, fluffy hair, mix tapes recorded from the radio, 56k modems, phone booths (although there is still one of the oldfashioned yellow ones in my town from the time before our phone company turned magenta), I could go on endlessly ;-)

This picture is from a 1992 movie, just 22 years ago. Believe it or not, when I started working as a librarian I still did online research that way. You had to be quick because it cost an arm and a leg.


Today's quote however is not about all the hacking going on in this movie (which I still find very entertaining today) ...

Gordon: It's just that everybody on your team has had some sort of problem in their past.
Wallace: Then there's Martin Bishop.
Silence.
Wallace: He doesn't seem to have a past.
Marty: Ah. Sorry to waste your time. I don't work for the government.
Gordon: We know. National Security Agency.
Marty: Oh. You're the guys I hear breathing on the other end of my phone.
Gordon: No, that's the FBI. We're not chartered for domestic surveillance.
Marty: Oh, I see. You just overthrow governments, set up friendly dictators.
Gordon (laughing): No, that's the CIA. We protect our government's communications, try to break the other fellows' codes. We're the good guys, Marty!


Sneakers, USA, 1992

No comments:

Post a Comment