8/31/2019

Art Elements Design Challenge and Blog Hop - Octopuses

First of all ... you are free to think of these as octopi or octopodes, should you so prefer, but while I used to say octopi and loved my octopi t-shirt, I now like how fun it sounds to say octopuses, and it's not wrong (thank you, Merriam-Webster).

Second, when Claire announced the topic for the Art Elements August theme challenge - Octopus - I did a little chair dance. Not only do I love octopuses, but I may also be slightly obsessed with making them.
I first got inspired by the polymer clay octopus my friend Star made and which is looking at me at this very moment.
 


It took me quite a few hours to crochet my octopus from wire. The man came later and was not meant to end up in the tentacles, but you know how those things happen. They are still in their deadly (?) embrace sitting in the ocean department of my Steiff collection.



Then there was Hank, the little lampwork thief, also crocheted from wire.



After a long break from making octopuses (but never not loving them) I started wire weaving, and that really got me going. Instead of telling you each single story I made a little collage (minus one of which it seems I didn't take a picture). There's tiny Barney at the top, and now you can tell how I more and more became obsessed by twisting those tentacles. Gosh, they are fun to make!!



So I decided on a big piece for this challenge, and maybe a small one. The small one hasn't happened yet, and I honestly didn't think I'd finish the big one in time although I started really early this time. My first step was to order small cabs.


Why? This is why.



I wanted octopus babies of my own, but instead of making them all one color, I decided on a multitude of colors. I chose agate, sodalite, zoisite, jasper, aventurine, amethyst, rose quartz, and more. Each cab got its own kind of weave, and voilà - an army of octopus babies, ready to take over the world, mwahahaaaaaa!


Actually this was the easy part. How to put them together now? I could dangle them from a chain, but a tentacle army is not quite as effective if those tentacles keep tangling. I kept laying them out like this and like that, I think they got rather tired of me.

Just two days ago I suddenly knew what I wanted to do. The video should have given me the idea much earlier. Those babies needed a mom!
One of my easiest exercises - well, not really because by now I began getting nervous about finishing this in time. AND I still didn't know how to put it all together in the end.
A little deep breathing, a lot of cursing and some dramatic yelling "I can't do this, I'm useless!" later I had done it - almost. Hard to believe and still true, you can run out of exactly that one kind of chain that you need while still having all others. I just found enough to connect my babies in the back, though. Phew.


I rarely make big, over the top necklaces, but this is one of them, and I love each little tentacle.
Taking a picture, however, wasn't easy, it was a little crowded in that light tent and a little too early in the morning to take a picture in the garden, and on top of that I only had four hours of sleep.
I'll try to come up with something better later, so please bear with me.





Ladies and gentlemen, this is a blog hop. Once again I ask you, no, I order you to go to these links and see what the other participants have come up with. It's worth it, honestly. Do it now. Thank you ;-)

Guests

Cat (that's me ;-)) - Evie and Beth - Hope - Karen - Kathy - Melissa - Michelle - Rozantia - Sarajo - Tammy

AE team members

Cathy - Claire - Jenny - Laney - Lindsay - Marsha

Last but not least I want to thank Claire for this fantastic topic. I have a feeling she and I share the same love of octopuses ....

P.S. Oops, almost forgot my own polymer clay octopus. That won't do, he's grumpy enough as it is! ;-)

24 comments:

  1. Oh yes we do! The same love aaaaaand obsession! ❤️ Your history of octopuses looks wonderful and all of them with their own personality. But the big necklace.. Wow, that is over the top! Thank you so much for participating and I can't wait to see your next octopus work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Claire! It's a good obsession to have!

      The next one is going to be for myself. I have a smaller one of those lampwork sharks and it needs a hug from an octopus friend :-D

      Delete
  2. Oh my that is amazing that necklace is awesome! But I am rather taken with the crochet wire man holding one and the polymer clay cutie :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Laney!

      I just wish I had chosen a different color for my big octopus, but at the time I didn't have much wire choices in my stash.

      Delete
  3. I love you big necklace. You created a stunning statement necklace. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't even imagine how much time (and love) went into this piece! what an amazing necklace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      It was a lot of time, but much more love which gave me the patience to keep going without knowing where exactly that was ;-)

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh - they are all fantastic! I love all those waving tentacles!!!! The last piece with momma and babies is absolutely FANTASTIC!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!!! I'm gobsmacked. I thought the octopuses (so glad you've clarified that we can use that word! WOO!), in the collage were impressive and plenty for this challenge. But then, you went and made babies and a mama! WHAT!? That piece is a real showstopper. So ambitious and so fabulicious! You blew this challenge away! Oh, and your wire crocheted ones are sweet too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :-D
      You are so kind to say that!

      Delete
  7. WOW. Just wow! I am in such awe of the wire crocheted octopuses. They blow me away. Then all your wire wrapped pieces are phenomenal but your newest piece for this challenge-totally rocks. That necklace is a showstopper. The mom's tentacles are amazing and then all her little babies climbing up the neck-;-) Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Cathy!
      I admit I was very happy in the end.

      Delete
  8. Ohmygoodnesswow! Everything is spectacular from beginning to end. I can't imagine how one goes about making a crochet octopus much less a human figure. So incredible. But oh, that statement necklace: fantabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tammy!
      I started from the head and I even have a WIP picture with just the head which confused my cats a lot back then *lol*

      Delete
  9. Your family of octopuses necklace is so fabulous!! I also really like the giant wire octopus who has caught himself (herself?) a man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much!
      As the word octopus is masculine in German, I always thought of a him in this case while the one in the necklace is obviously a mom :-)

      Delete
  10. Wow that's an amazing amount of work! I love your baby octopuses!

    ReplyDelete
  11. whoa! I love the idea of the Mom and babies!!! gorgeous work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your crochet is amazing. I haven't tried crocheting with the wire, yet, but am wanting to try it even more after seeing the octopuses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!
      Give it a try, it can be so much fun! Just don't use one of your good hooks and go for some cheap wire to practice, from the hardware store for example, something between 28 and 32 gauge.
      I'm doing almost all of my wire crochet pieces with one kind of stitch, and you can still make it look so different!
      Shoot me a message at cat @ catswire.com if you want to try and have questions! :-)

      Delete
  13. OMG, I so wanted to scroll down to the end of the paragraph about the baby octopuses and see what you've made! Totally unexpected awesomeness! The statement necklace, that is :) But I wouldn't underestimate either of your fantastic creations! It's obvious you had a blast creating them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this wonderful comment! :-D

      Delete