6/14/2017

Oldies but Goodies - Cabochons

Welcome to this week's Jewelry Artisans Community Oldies but Goodies Challenge. It is all about cabochons or cabs how they are often called, too.
Cabochon comes from the French and means a gemstone that is usually flat on the back and smoothly polished on top, not faceted.

I remember when I started crocheting with wire. Beads were so much easier to handle for me as a beginner because I could attach them safely with wire. The bezels for cabs had to be just right which was (and sometimes is) even more difficult on free form stones.
Faceted stones were a completely different story because of their faceted backs which don't necessarily work with all of my bezels and you don't want to a pendant to sit crooked all the time or a ring whose focal keeps digging into your finger.
Just imagine there was a time when I looked down on cabochons because they didn't sparkle. Or on opaque stones. Or on opaque cabs! ;-)

Now it's time to stop talking and begin showing some of the entries for this week.
Enjoy.


1 RioRita
2 Cat's Wire
3 Jewelry Art by Dawn
4 MC Stoneworks
5 Violetmoon's Corner

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful cabs. Cat, love the unique setting of your cab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I chose fewer this time, but it was hard to pick!

      The sun - well, I can't always be serious ;-)

      Delete