1/16/2015

Tackle that stash - Wire knit bracelet with glass cubes and lampwork button

Cubes. Tiny cubes. I remember when I first discovered them and just had to get different colors. It's not as if I didn't use any of them, mind you. I loomed with them (even if that is still in the WIP drawer due to my weak Peyote skills, but that's a different story) and I knitted with them. Then things calmed down in the cube section of the drawer.

That's over now. I dragged all of them into the light of day and started making cube soups. I loomed a bracelet for myself. And I got back to a design of mine that I love.
To close a bracelet is not always easy for everyone. You should think I'm used to doing it, but there have been times - particularly mornings - when even I have given up because it was obviously not the day for a bracelet with a clasp. That's when I decided on making bracelets with button holes and beads for buttons, mostly lampwork beads and one agate bead.

This bracelet is by far the widest one.  The mix of light and darker blue cubes sparkles beautifully. As I couldn't find my silver colored wire, I went for midnight blue. It was probably fate, the dark blue was the perfect contrast for the cube soup.
And as luck would have it, I found an orphaned blue lampwork bead in my stash, too. I'm afraid I can't say which artist made it. Even if I have an idea, I can't be sure, so I better don't name anyone at all.



I'm really happy with how the piece turned out and the temptation to use the other cubes in bracelets as well is big, but who knows, there might be a different idea just around the corner, so I won't give in to the temptation.

If you want to see more pictures and more detail, you can find them in the listing of my Zibbet shop.

4 comments:

  1. Stunning! Love the different shades of blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree re the shades of blue, it gives so much interest to the piece. I think the dark blue wire was a good choice, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the different blues in it too.
    Also great color choice for the wire.

    ReplyDelete