8/15/2019

Oldies but Goodies - More dangles

We are back! The Jewelry Artisans Community Oldies but Goodies Challenge had taken a little break, but now we are back. I'm happy to say that I can show you a few beautiful pieces, and there are so many more at the original thread that I couldn't fit into the collage without making the individual pictures very small, so please have a look over at JAC!
This week's topic were "Dangles". We already did those a little less than a year ago and how many dangles can you have? Never enough, that's how many! ;-)

Last time I told you the story about a pair of dangly earrings I gave to a friend.

This time I'll tell you about the time my friend (a different one) and I got our ears pierced. First of all I should mention that we were both a bit wimpy about this. We even had an agreement that we wouldn't get our ears pierced before we were, well, old. Anything is old when you are a teenager. Then, however, my friend pushed the matter. She gave me a voucher for an ear piercing for my birthday, knowing very well that I would just give her one back for her birthday which is only eight days later!

So we went off together. To be honest, I don't remember ever asking my mother if this was okay, but I must have because I don't think they would have done it otherwise. We had already picked our "medical" - as in non-allergic - post earrings, just tiny bezel set rhinestones that came in all kinds of colors. Mine were a light blue.
We dealt with this very responsibly. We had the little bottle with the disinfecting fluid and cleaned both our ear lobes and our earrings every day. We turned the posts in our ears to make sure the hole wouldn't close in on them. Yeah, that was sold to us as a real danger then, and we imagined how the earrings would be stuck in our ears forever, aaaaaaah!
Then after a month when we were "officially" allowed to remove the posts, we went to a shop to buy real earrings, real meaning crazy, modern, long, flashy, dangly! I miss that shop. They had clothes and fashion jewelry, and I often tried on stuff there that I would never have been able to buy. It's funny because even then I wasn't big on fashion. I remember them having a pair of purple jeans that I loved so much, but I couldn't afford them.

Enough talk now, though, time for some pictures. A drumroll please!


1 The Crafty Chimp
2 Jewelry Art by Dawn
3 MC Stoneworks
4 Togan
5 RioRita
6 Bijou Bead Boutique
7 Cat's Wire

P.S. For your amusement I thought I'd show you some of the earrings I used to wear in the olden days, just the dangly ones. Of course these are not by far all of those I used to have or maybe still have in a drawer. Some of them are just leftover parts, often one of them is missing or they lost their earwires - I probably have the biggest collection of single earrings in the world ;-) - but they don't take up much space in my little earring memory box.
What's funny is that I still remember where I got most of them or I know a story connected to them, for example where I lost the second one. I'm surprised myself that quite a few are sterling silver, probably I threw the broken cheap ones out a long time ago.
And honestly, who wouldn't want to wear a pair of silver lobsters in their ears? ;-)


P.P.S. Unbelievable. I thought I had imagined still having one of my first earrings, but here it is, 40 years old.


 

4 comments:

  1. I still have some of my first earrings, too. Mine are more than antiques now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I'd rather have antiques than some of those that I have! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for including my spider web earrings, Cat. What a fantastic group of danglies!

    I love your skeleton earrings - those are awesome! In my personal collection there is a pair of earrings I remember wearing back when I was 12 -13 years old, so they would be at least 40 years old. We could open a vintage jewelry shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, you know I like spiders! ;-)

      The skeletons are cool, and they are even sterling silver. I think I got them in the same place as the lobsters, but can't remember where exactly that was.
      It's nice that I can replace earwires myself now!

      Delete