4/27/2015

Zibbet finds of the week - Endangered animals

Last week I told you about Day of the Extinction in my artist interview (if you haven't read it yet, please check it out).
It's a subject that is dear to my heart, and so I once again went back to the Zibbet park to see if I could find some wildlife there.
I will not only show you my finds of the week today, however, but if you click the links, you will also find one or the other information about these endangered animals as well.

I don't think it's a secret how much I love cats ... the small ones and the big ones. The tiger is one of my all time favorite animals. Their bodies, their heads, their walk, they are truly royal (and I hope the Indian government will not take away their status as national animal!).


Tiger photography by LMR Photography

Did you know that the Tasmanian Devil population is severely threatened by a voracious cancer? I have always been in love with them and it makes me so sad.
A team at the University of Tasmania is working hard on developing a vaccine to save the Tasmanian Devil. Although latest research "provided encouraging for potential development of a vaccine", there's still a long way to go.



Two baby Tasmanian Devils on fabric at Deep Peace Studio

Many of us go awww when they see a Giant Panda. They are beautiful, but they are also rare. According to this article about the first, erm, date of Kai Kai and Jia Jia in Singapore "panda reproduction is a notoriously complex process".


Giant Panda wool sculpture by Out Of The Wild

I once saw a documentation about snow leopards that just took my breath away. They are amazing animals and recently proof has been found that they have returned to the Russian Altai Mountains.


Beaded snow leopard amulet bag by Maddiethekat
All species of sea turtles are endangered or threatened. Now scientists have found out that young turtles actively swim sooner than has been thought before. Now they hope that studying their swimming behavior in these earlier years will help them predict risks the turtles could encounter.


Sea turtles greeting card (also available as art print!) by Torn Paper

I hope you enjoyed learning more about endangered animals today and who knows, maybe you have given a thought to what you can do to help.
I promise that the next post will be lighter in tone again, but we can't keep our eyes closed all the time, can we?

6 comments:

  1. Such an interesting post - multi-faceted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I admit I would have liked a bit more response to this post because it's a subject that is so dear to my heart.

      Delete
  2. Great post, Cat. Thank you for putting the spotlight on the plight of endangered animals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Michele. Looking for information to use in these post was not easy for me, I came across so much heartbreaking stuff :-(

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post, Cat.

    Yes, it's hard sometimes to think about what is happening to many species on our planet, but we must protect them. If we allow them to be lost, we've lost the best part of humanity.

    Surely we can do better than this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Dawn.
      We must protect them indeed. What would the world be without them?

      Delete