4/22/2015

Oldies but Goodies - Leaves

When I was in school, I had to put together a herbarium with tree samples. As usual when it was a project I didn't really feel like doing, I procrastinated until the last day. Then my grandmother told me she would be taking me to the woods now.
As you know by now I am not a plant expert. I can tell a birch from an oak tree, but that's about as good as it gets. I hung around in the woods a lot together with my friend, but we didn't necessarily check out plant life, we were too busy having adventures. My enthusiasm for the herbarium was limited.
Then my grandma took over like only she could. She would point out trees to me here and there and ordered me to get leaves and this and that. Once when I couldn't reach the leaves, she went into action with her umbrella and got them for me. I remember some red leaves which came from a copper beech as she told me. I liked them so much that I took more of them.
Of course I didn't have time to press the samples properly, so I just hoped for the best. When I came to school, however, I found hardly anyone had a herbarium. Most of the children had collected leaves and stuff just the way I had and soon recess turned into a swap meet. Now my copper beech leaves were valuable goods.
We never finished those herbariums, by the way.

Thank you if you read this far. Leaves are the theme for this week's Jewelry Artisans Community Oldies but Goodies Challenge which is the reason for these old memories coming back up.
Enjoy our little JAC herbarium!


1 2 Fab Fristers
2 Cat's Wire
3 MC Stoneworks
4 Jewelry Art by Dawn
5 RioRita
6 Violetmoon's Corner

2 comments:

  1. Your grandmother sounds like a wise and amazing woman, Cat.

    Love the leaves collage - such variety and talent - AGAIN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She could also be a very tough woman! If I had refused her offer, she probably would have dragged me into the woods with her umbrella ;-)

      Delete