10/26/2014

Quote of the week

What would you do or say if your friend suddenly turned up at your party accompanied by a celebrity? Who knows, maybe you wouldn't even recognize him or her, either because you don't expect your friend to hang around with someone famous - we all know there are lookalikes out there - or because you are not impressed by celebrities? Or faking that you are not impressed at all?
William brings the famous and beautiful actress Anna with him to the birthday party given by friends of his for his little sister, and while you can tell that they are all curious except for Bernie who's told that she acts in movies and quite innocently asks her how much she was paid for her last one, they try hard to act normal around her.

When they decide that the last brownie will go to the person with the most tragic story, Anna won't give it up without a fight.

Anna: "Well, wait! What about me?"
Max: "I'm sorry? You think you deserve the last brownie?"
Anna: "Well, a shot at it at least, huh?"
William: "You'll have to prove it. I mean, this is a very, very good brownie. I'm gonna fight for it."
Anna: "I've been on a diet every day since I was 19 which basically means I've been hungry for a decade. Uhm. I've had a series of not nice boyfriends one of whom hit me. Uhm, and every time I get my heart broken, the newspapers splash it about as though it's entertainment. And ... it's taken two rather painful, um, operations to get me looking like this."
Honey: "Really?"
Anna: "Mmh. Really." *pointing at her chin and nose* "And one day not long from now my looks will go, they will discover I can't act, and I will become some sad, middle-aged woman ... who ... looks a bit like someone who was famous for a while."
Silence, everyone is looking at Anna.
Max: "Nah. Nice try, gorgeous, but you don't fool anyone."
Everyone laughing.
Bernie: "Nah."
William: "Pathetic effort to hog the brownie."



Notting Hill, UK/USA, 1999

No comments:

Post a Comment