2/03/2014

Interview with the artist - Tara from Doodlebug's Deviants Designs

I first met Tara online in a cat forum called My Cat Hates You. Then we met again in real life when we were on vacation in Edinburgh, we being my ex and me, Tara lives there, but hey, let her tell all of that herself, okay?

The Twins

Tell us a little about who you are and where you come from.

My name is Tara and I like to think of myself as a bit of a strange, but fun artistic spirit. I come from Edinburgh in Scotland where I live with my 4 feline mistresses in our little flat.

What's your craft/art and how did you get to do it in the first place?

My current craft is sewing and I came into it in a round about way! I went to a art group to get me out of my flat, and there I decided I wanted to make a patchwork quilt for my bed (insanity as I had only ever repaired torn clothes before). From there I would occasionally make a cushion for my flat as old ones gave up. Then this Christmas just past someone gave me socks for a present and they were nice, but not ones I would ever wear, so I googled recycling new socks and up popped sock monkeys. But I am not a fan of sock monkeys as they are everywhere, so I thought sod it, I want to make sock cats, as I am a certified crazy cat woman lolz! Also the cushions came about from a photo that has been floating around the internet of cat shaped cushions, and no matter how much I searched I just could not find them to buy, so again thought sod it, I will make my own. When I posted photos of these on my personal Facebook people suggested I sell them to help pay for my feline mistresses expensive tastes!

Black cats on pink Kushion Kittiez

I think this is one of the most asked questions – where does your inspiration come from?

My inspiration has always come from my love of cats and anything cat shaped, and never being able to find the range of cat things that there is for dogs!

Tell us a fun thing about yourself.

I collect skulls and religious icons.

Moo cat head Kushion Kittiez

Do you do other crafts, if yes, what?

I do a fair amount of other crafts/art. I draw when my hands permit me, I customise vinyl figures and pieces of furniture, I love taking photos, and last but not least I like to upcycle pieces that others would consider rubbish :)

Which one of your pieces is your absolute favorite? Which one was the hardest to make and why?

My favourite piece by far is the curly tailed Kushion Kittiez and it is also the hardest to make, and as I hand sew all my pieces the tail is really hard to get just right so that once filled it will curl up fully!

Is there someone whom you admire and who inspires you?   

I admire anyone who is willing to put their art/craft out there for others to see, that takes a lot of guts! And there isn't one person that inspires me, it is lots of people and mostly my girls :)

Plum Stripes

If you had free choice of just one supply you can use for your craft/art, what would you be dreaming of, no matter how expensive?

I would LOVE to make some Kushion Kittiez out of a pure silk brocade fabric, but it is just way beyond my budget lolz!

Kitty head Kushion Kittiez

Do you sell online, if yes, where can we find you?    

I do sell online, mostly from my Facebook page Doodlebug's Deviants Designs, but also from a Zibbet shop of the same name :)

Skull kitty

Is there anything you feel you need or want to tell the world outside now?

I don't do this to make money, I do it for the calmness and ability it has to make me forget my disabilities and situation in life :)

Thank you, hun! So, you cat people out there, how about taking a look? :-D  

No comments:

Post a Comment