9/03/2010

Ugly beads - a challenge, Part 1

What's ugliness? Like beauty it's in the eye of the beholder. Texture, shape, color ...
If you don't like orange, a carnelian will probably be ugly to you, if you hate purple, amethyst might not be your stone.
If you are not into piercings all over your body, some punks may seem ugly to you, and maybe they think the same about you in your neat little costume and the high heels.
At times I feel today really anything goes and sometimes it's best to just look away. Or maybe not?

At SJA some open minds started an "ugly bead challenge". Ugly beads were swapped and the participants are challenged to make something out of it now, using some or all of the beads. Last week my beads have arrived and I have to admit at first I thought there was no chance at all for me to make anything out of them because they were so out of my line.


Only one idea popped into my head right away. The blue beads looked like eyes. Big eyes. Animal with big eyes. Bingo! An owl! Of course I had never seen an owl with blue eyes, so I guessed he'd have to be something special.
I started and let the hook take over as usual. When I had finished the body - which is 3D, you can see it a little better in the second picture, and made in four parts, could you have told? - and the eyes were attached, I thought about the beak. Did I have a bead that would make a good beak? None of the other uglies yelled "here" really.


I could have gone for a more conservative look then and use a golden wire, but that wouldn't have been special. Instead I chose the green wire.


I don't know what you think, but I saw the little fellow and I loved him as I love all my critters. His name is Mr. Hoot.
So, is he ugly now? Or just a little goofy? Strange? Or special? I think he's special because he made me think outside my box. Usually I make an animal and then choose the eyes to match it, but this time it was the other way round.
Know what? I'm really looking forward to playing with the other beads this weekend. Even if my brain will start smoking, the challenge is good for me. It's good to be pushed off the usual path sometimes.
I'll keep you updated.

5 comments:

  1. don't think all where ugly. Liked the green ones, thought tight necklace of leather and smaller steels on both sides a' la' teen. The brown one make me think vase and perhaps beading of flowers from it? and the flowery ones made me think folk-suit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Hoot is wonderful! I love him. That was a perfect idea.

    The green ones remind me of Halloween. Kind of like spiders.

    Great post! for lack of a better saying: one man's garbage is another man's treasure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think any of them are ugly! Like LindaN I saw a mini vase in the brown ones. You don't want to know what I see in the blue ones (it involves mermaids) but I love your owl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love Mr. Hoot! What a great use of "ugly" beads. Congrats on thinking outside the box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It involves mermaids?? OMG, we think so alike sometimes.
    I didn't have the guts to pull that through, though. As I said, those beads are big *lol*

    ReplyDelete